Friday, June 27, 2008

A New Endeavor


I decided that this blog was getting a bit unwieldy with my reading obsession, so I've created yet another blog for keeping track of that good stuff. You can check it out here:

The Sweet Serenity of Books

I named it for a quote I once saw on a Mary Engelbreit calendar page (Greyhair--stop your gagging) with the following quote:

"The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, and all the sweet serenity of books."

~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I can't remember a time in my life without books and reading.

When I was too young to read for myself, my parents did it for me. Dad was a journalism major and first Managing Editor and then Publisher of the daily paper in the town where we lived. Mom was an English major in college and a devoted reader--both of them were. The library was one of my favorite places and as I talk about books, I'll also talk about library trips and book memories.

I hope you'll join me.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was growing up in Dayton, OH, the library was one of the few places my uber-evangelical parents would let me go. I, too, have fond memories of summer hours spent in the air conditioned library. I would even meet my boyfriend there, occasionally. Stolen kisses among the stacks of books. Bliss!

Kathy B

Rhonda said...

Just found your blog and fell in love with it. Books are a wonderful way to escape for an hour or days, in my case. When I taught school, I would read to my students each afternoon right before they went home.....a kind of send-off, if you will. Some of them didn't want to leave because I would stop and say, "To be continued." They'd complain but each afternoon beg for more.