Tuesday, June 03, 2008

The Way Back Machine

I'm quilting away on my Spring Fling Round Robin and will post when it is done, and in the meantime I offer a picture of this, my first quilt.

In 1975, I met Leah Curling at a Newcomers Club meeting in Fort Collins, Colorado. I'd always wanted to learn to quilt, and there she was hand piecing. Well I was on her like the proverbial duck on a Junebug and the rest is history. She mentored me and pointed me in the direction of Beth Gutcheon's Perfect Patchwork Primer, still a great book for anyone who wants to learn to quilt the old fashioned way.

This pattern is called Time and Tide and came from an issue of Quilters' Newsletter Magazine. I ordered the fabric from Sears Roebuck in order to get 100% cotton. The two prints are just different colorways of the same fabric and I think the fabric was about $1.50 a yard or less. I had pieced this quilt and hand quilted it in a frame built by my husband's co-worker.

I wish I could say that I loved this quilt, but I'm really not wild about the colors and fabrics. I do love the labor I put into this quilt. Being hand pieced just the way Grandma did, I traced templates of each and every piece and cut them out individually. My quilting template for the border was also good-old-style cardboard.

Perhaps tomorrow, a picture of my last Sew-a-Row or the Spring Fling....

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Beertje Zonn said...

What a beautiful Quilt!
Kind regards

Sonnja & Beertje Zonn
From the Netherlands

Teresa said...

How great that you still have your first quilt and all the labor that went into it had to make it very special, even if you are not crazy about the colors now. Looks to me like you did a good job!

LuĂ­sa Silva said...

I am curious about your hand quilted Spring fling round robin quilt.
When I look behind to the first quilts I made, sometimes I feel the same as you. Nevertheless,what really counts is the effort, the time and the love you put on it. It is now a part of you.