Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sewing Again

I have been sewing quite a bit this week and actually getting things accomplished, which makes me very happy.

Since finishing the Spring Fling Round Robin and the Miniature Booty Swap as well as some Friendship Blocks for guild and these Lotto Blocks for Marilyn. My pal Kathy B. got the block after deciding to try applique and then decided that it might be a bit much for a first-timer, so she asked me if I would help her out. I told her I'd do it for her if she would do the two Dutchman's Puzzle blocks I owed Sharon. No problemo either way for us and that's one of the many things I love about my friend Kathy. She didn't mind doing the 16 flying geese units for the blocks and I'd have bitched and moaned my way through each and every one of them.

So here are my Cowgirl Sue's for Marilyn. I tried something different for me and used monofilament thread to do the applique by machine. It was no problem, but I'm not sure I like the look. These blocks reinforced for me how much I hate the stiffness that fusible web (I used Steam a Seam II) gives the finished project. Not to mention that it is darned near impossible to do hand embroidery on top of the appliques. I think I may have to investigate further the method I tried on the Valentine's Day Sew-a-Row.

I've also assembled some Jelly Roll blocks that I made when visiting my pal Becky in January. One top is nearly finished and I'll start the in a little while. Pictures to follow.


peace...........msjan

3 comments:

SuBee said...

Those gals are too darn cute!! Did you draw that? I haved a DGD whose current goal in life is to be a cowgirl - mind if I crib??

Teresa said...

Love the cowgirl blocks. Its so great to have quilting buddies who enjoy doing what is less than pleasurable for you! I have a friend that enjoys sewing bindings down - now how great is that!!!

Anonymous said...

I have recently discovered a product called Misty Fuse (also Misty White Fuse and Misty Black Fuse) for fusible applique. It adds almost no bulk at all. It has the consistency of a spiderweb, very light and fine. You can get it at Keepsake Quilting online if no store near you carries it. I think you would be very pleased with it. I had a bad experience with Steam-A-Seam II last year when starting out in fusible applique. The piece I used it on is like cardboard. I really hate it for applique. I hope this information will help you.
Michele in TN