Friday, August 22, 2008

More Love in the Mailbox

From my Sistah Kathy B. in Woodland, the one who got me started on this whole sampler enterprise, I present the block Beacon Lights. I love this block and had I needed to do one for the quilt, this is the one I'd have made.

I've been appliqueing like a fiend at night while watching Deadwood again, but you wouldn't know it by my progress. I'm facing the demon skeleton and working this dude is a slow-go. In the past few days, I've managed to finish most of the carpals and metacarpals on this, his left hand. I'm also treating myself to occasional breaks from hands and fingers to work on the clavicles and ribs.


I've found with these small pieces it is much easier to mark them all in proper position on a larger piece of fabric and then baste them down only in the places that are the actual applique. When I'm ready to tackle a new piece, I simply trim around it to separate it from the rest and I'm good to go. You can probably see through the rib-piece that I've already appliqued the sternum, so I'll just cut around that when I'm ready. He will have more teeth....maybe. I'm kind of getting used to him with only one!

3 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Wow! The skeleton is quite an undertaking (pun?)... he'll be well worth the effort..., maybe the one remaining tooth is the result of just too much Halloween candy consumption. Love, love, love that sampler block!

Pati said...

Jan, I love this quilt! You are doing such an awesome job on the applique. I can't wait to see the whole thing put together.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

That there Beacon Lights is one fine-lookin' block. Love the progress on the skeleton....