Friday, May 02, 2008

Nothin' New Here...


I've been busy piddling around with little projects like the Spring Fling Round Robin and the Round Robin Bloggers project and miscellaneous Sew-a-Rows, so I'll share a picture of a quilt I made in 1975 as a commission for the Colorado Children's Book Award. I made a block to commemorate each of the 20 nominees, and it is hand appliquéd and quilted. I was paid a whopping $200 plus materials for it.

I purchased several of the books at the awards dinner and had them autographed and I have a paste on label with Dr. Suess' autograph that says "To my favorite quilter, Jan Gibson."

Last I heard, it was hanging in the children's library in Fort Collins.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a fabulous quilt! I did not now you were famous :-))

Kathy B

Teresa said...

Very nice quilt and great idea to celebrate the books. I enjoyed reading through your blogs - this is my first visit. Happy Birthday to your girls!

Beertje Zonn said...

What a beautiful Quilt!
Kind regards

Sonnja, from the Netherlands
Beertje Zonn

Anonymous said...

What a great quilt! You've been holding out on us - what else do you have tucked away?

Sistah Becky

quiltmom anna said...

Jan,
What a great quilt to celebrate children's books. It is unfortunate that people who don't quilt don't realize how much work and time it takes to make a quilt. It is wonderful to have it hanging in a children's library- you will have a nice collection of books to read to your grand children. Some of those books are classics of children's literature. I recognize Hi Cat, William's Doll and Ira Sleeps Over. What were some of the other titles? I am a kindergarten teacher and I love children's books.
Thanks for sharing your lovely and unique quilt-
Regards from a Western Canadian Quilter,
Anna

Finn said...

Morning Ms Jan...just popping in to say "hi". Not much cooking in my part of the world either. Love the quilt, very creative. And how marvelous you got Dr. Suess's signature...that's a hoot!
Hope you are having a wonderful spring. Hugs, Finn