Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Year in Bread--finally started!


I finally got started with my Year in Bread first entry, Susan of Farmgirl Fare's pizza dough. I chose it first because I was doing it at the last minute and Kevin's dough took more time.

As I mentioned before, we don't care for the traditional topping of tomato sauce, so I opted for a thin coating of Picholine olive oil from B.R. Cohn Winery. The oil is so wonderful and the olives are grown right on the winery site. I shredded a couple of ounces of local mozzarella and just a bit of Tillamook cheddar that I had on hand and a tiny bit of hubby's homemade Gouda. Next on was some sliced cremini mushrooms, fresh sage and oregano from the garden, some sliced garlic stuffed olives.

Once baked, we topped each slice with some wonderful hydroponic tomatoes from the Farmers Market and some fresh basil. A tease of the summer to come.

The dough was thin and crispy, but I was a bit disappointed. Further reading revealed that my attempt to make it healthy by adding whole wheat flour backfired on me. The pros tell me that it just ain't the same. Next time, I'll stick to regular King Arthur all purpose organic flour.

Onward in the search for the perfect pie.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy, all except the 'shrooms :-))

Kathy B

Anonymous said...

Yum... You mentioned in an earlier post about freezing the pizza skins - how are you doing that? I've frozen dough balls successfully (and they roll out really thin if you do...), but I've never tried to freeze the dough after it's been rolled or tossed.

Becky