Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Meme


Here's a fun one from Diane at Going to Pieces


Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate, but only the real deal. The occasional egg nog is OK too, but the calories....oy vey!

Does Santa wrap presents or set them under the tree? Santa always wraps presents. Lately, though, Santa has been making reusable fabric bags in an effort to go green.

Colored lights on tree or white? We change from year to year, but usually colored. This year we bought a live potted tree that we hope will stay small enough to bring in for a few years.

When do you put your decorations up? The first week of December if I'm "on it."

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? It has to be the stuffing. Mom's recipe using Mrs. Cubbison's seasoned dressing (NOT cornbread) and adding chestnuts.

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? To borrow a quote from Francis P. Church, Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. You can read the entire text here.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? When the kids were small, I adopted a tradition shared with us by our neighbors on Kate's first Christmas. New P.J.'s were given and opened on Christmas Eve so the morning photos would be sweeter.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree? I have ornaments I've collected for years, but since I'm now using a small, live tree the branches won't hold the weight of the heavier ornaments. I'm using some lovely blown glass old-fashioned ornaments my daughter gave me. They are light and they remind me of the few old ornaments my Mom had from her childhood. I also use some tin icicles a friend sent me from Amish country as part of a Secret Santa exchange years ago. This year the tree is on a tabletop with part of my Christmas village around it.

Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love snow, but mostly when I don't have to go out in it too much. Learning to drive in the snow when living in Ft. Collins, Colorado and Reno, Nevada was not too much fun. A good book or some hand quilting and a cup of hot tea in front of a snowy window is nice.

Can you ice skate? What, are you kidding? I'm too klutzy.

Do you remember your favorite gift? A Kitchen-Aid mixer.

What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Taking time to see family and shopping for gifts for the kids on the Salvation Army tree. One year we bought for a whole family and that was a blast.

What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? My husband's fudge--there is none better--except his Mom's, but it is her recipe. Oh wait, my (step)Daughter Sarah makes Rocky Road that has addictive properties once likened to crack cocaine. Either/or is good.

What is your favorite tradition? When I was a little girl (and up to my teens) we would have hot chocolate and home-made doughnuts after the annual Christmas parade. The parade was always held on the Monday night after Thanksgiving and we always observed the tradition. When I moved back to Visalia with my two children, we observed it too but with bakery doughnuts. Then, they started letting everyone and his cousin be inthe parade and it wasn't done until after bedtime on a school night!

Which do you prefer, Giving or Receiving? Giving, definitely. Occasionally, someone will surprise me with something great and unexpected (size and cost unimportant), but I'd much rather be on the other end of it.

What is your favorite Christmas Song? "I'll Be Home For Christmas."

Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? Neutral, but I do like peppermint.

Ever recycled a Christmas present? Never.

3 comments:

*karendianne. said...

This is a great post. I enjoyed reading and RELATING to so many of these. My favorite? The Kitchen-Aid mixer. A kitchen item. Here, too. My Cuisinart.

And I don't even cook! But don't make me live without it.

Anyway, enjoyed this great share!

Passionate Quilter said...

thanks for sharing your favorite Christmas things..it's always fun to hear how others celebrate and their traditions. By the way, I love the boys 'presents' quilts...another one on my wish list to do!!
Merry Christmas

Angie said...

I enjoyed this great way to share some of your feelings about Christmas.