Tuesday, May 08, 2007

American Hero Quilts

Thanks to the generosity of my fellow quilters in the Santa Rosa Quilt Guild, I was able to mail 5 quilts to American Hero Quilts. This wonderful endeavor, started by Sue Nebecker in Vashon Island, Washington, provides quilts to injured service personnel at Madigan Army Medical Hospital.

Like Diane, I totally disagree with Mr. Bush and his war, but feel the need to "do something" for the wounded troops and the families of those lost.

A note I received from Sue the day after the quilts arrived told me that the 2 XOXO quilts went to a pair of sisters who just lost their Daddy. She said the girls took the quilts "everywhere." One of the larger quilts went to a soldier who lost both legs in Iraq. She said that he cried when she presented him with the quilt.

Thanks to my pal Susan for turning me on to this very important project.

They accept quilt tops, backs, fabric, and though it doesn't say so on the website, children's quilts. Please support our wounded troops and the families of those lost.....

2 comments:

Susan said...

Jan, those are so beautiful. I'm so thrilled that you sent those hugs and kisses quilts. It would seem that they were destined for those sisters. Aren't Sue's letters wonderful? She brings tears to my eyes so often with her stories!

Tazzie said...

Isn't it wonderful that these quilts can give so much comfort to people who really need it. What a wonderful project you're working on.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)