Tuesday, January 03, 2012

The Holidays are Over!

Well, the kids are gone, the house will be un-decorated today and the exorcise (not a misspelling, my sister's name for it) program has been resumed in full. Life can go back to normal.


As I said before, I am so looking forward to 2012, for more quilting time and less responsibility.  Also, 2012 is a milestone birthday for me--60--and we are celebrating by taking a cruise around Italy in the spring.  Shortly after that, we will go to the annual Winemaker Magazine conference at Cornell University in New York.  I've never been to New York, and given the choice of side-tripping to NYC or Niagara Falls was not really a decision for me.  Niagara Falls is on my bucket list, and I can't wait to see it in person, and from the Canadian side.


In my absence from the blogging world, my grandson Benjamin, who will be 7 in February, has become a budding chef and is playing the piano.  Alex is 4 1/2 and in preschool and is a very active little fellow.  They are soooo fun.  My stepson Scott got married on Halloween 2009 and he and wife Erin are doing well.  My stepdaughter Sarah is realizing her dream of quitting her job of 12 years and travelling the world for a year.  Her boyfriend Ramesh has decided to join her and surf around the world.  They leave on the 11th and I can't imagine how a year without Sarah will be.  My son Daniel moved into his own place after living with his best friends until their recent wedding.  He's enjoying the simple life in his own place and is a wonderful uncle to Kate's two boys.  Kate and Steve have been married 11 years this week, and life is good for them as the boys continue to grow up.   My dogs Gator and Ace are 13 and 11 respectively and are doing fine for being so old, and they are definitely happy that the guests are gone.


Mike is good and is making some mighty good wine.  We planted some Pinot Noir grapes in part of our yard previously unused and they will be producing in 2 more years.  That keeps him on the run, for sure.  


Last summer, Mike wanted to go to a pitch and putt golf course and play nine holes and I told him I'd go and walk with him.  Well, that wasn't allowed, so we rented some clubs and a pull cart and I was going to just walk and pull the cart.  Well, me being me, I decided that if I had to rent them, I was going to play, even though I'm left-handed and the clubs were rightys.  So, I played that day and did OK.  The next time, we rented the lefty clubs and I did better.  Within 2 weeks, Mike had ordered me a basic set of clubs online and I was enrolled in lessons.  Since then, we have enjoyed playing golf 2-3 times a week, and have introduced both of the girls to it.  Our boys, who took lessons together 15 years ago both play regularly and we've had the pleasure of playing with both of them this month. 


As Mrs. Goodneedle says, Life is Good!






1 comment:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Welcome back! I've missed you. Jan, we stayed at a great B&B in Niagara Falls a few years ago. You might want to consider it. I'll send you a link.