Thursday, September 17, 2009

Dumbfounded

That was me, today.

The third Thursday in September is always our Founders' Day Luncheon at the Santa Rosa Quilt Guild. Some of our charter members took quilting classes from Joyce Gross at Santa Rosa Junior College back in the 1970's, and founded a group that would last beyond the classroom. Well, did it ever! The guild is 33 years young this month and one of our founding member, Dotty Zagar, got up today and gave us some history. She hostessed the first meeting at her home in 1976. We are now 240 members strong and very, very busy ladies. We donate quilts to various local causes like the NICU at Sutter Hospital, the Valley of the Moon Children's Home, the local women's shelters, the Wounded Warriors at Camp Pendleton, and many more.

Another thing that happens on Founders' Day is awards. The guild gives an annual Merit Award to a member who has done exceptional work in a given field and this year member Glenda R. got the award for her constant schlepping of our opportunity quilt from venue to venue to make us a few bucks. Well deserved. Then the committee chair announced that there was an Honorary Life Membership award to be given this year and she started in about the winner's work on the newsletter (me), the membership roster (me again), and various committees like SewARow (me). I was in total shock, people. As Vice President, I'm on the Board--the same Board who votes on awards--and that sneaky bunch flew this one right by me.

I'm touched, happy, surprised and grateful. I'm grateful for this wonderful bunch of women and a couple of guys who work their collective fingers to the bone to make it all happen. I look forward every other Thursday to the meetings because the positive energy put out by my guild is the best.....and did I mention that they are very creative? If you check this link in the next day or two you'll see what I mean, and in the meantime, check the archives.

9 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Oh, how wonderful! I'm so proud of you and happy to hear this news! What a great surprise!

quiltmom anna said...

Jan,
How nice for you to receive such an honor - It is apparent from the list of accolades that it you were a most deserving recipient. People appreciate others who give so much of their time and energy to make a guild successful. Congratulations - Warmest Regards,
Anna

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I read your newsletter and it is great. Plus all those sew a rows!!!! And I love how they sneaked it past you :-)
Kathy B

Karrin Hurd said...

Congratulations on the award Jan, and it sounds like it is very well deserved!

Angie said...

Congratulations! Jan
And I'm not at all surprised! You are a devoted and wonderful asset to the quilt guild, and this is a well deserved award! (ahem---perhaps a bit overdue!)--- Thank you for all the countless hours and effort you have provided to make our guild experiences outstanding. Your the best! Bask in the moment! and have a great day! Cheers!

Juliann said...

It sounds like this is well deserved - otherwise they would not have gone to such lengths to keep you in the dark. Enjoy!

antique quilter said...

that is so nice they gave you this award.
Hard work always pays off!
nice to belong to a guild with such positive energy.
Kathie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sistah Jan! You have done a lot for the SR Guild, and it's nice to see you get some well-deserved recognition!

Becky

Tazzie said...

Congratulations on your life membership Jan. I don't know you well, but from what I know, you deserve it so very much, and what a sweetheart you are to be so humble about it all.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)