Saturday, April 01, 2006

Fun Quilty Stuff

Last weekend, I got to go to the Napa quilt show where I met my buddy Kathy B. from Yolo and her school nurse buddy Debbie and Debbie's sister Stephanie. Debbie and Stephanie are new quilters, being mentored by Kathy and they were on a mission to find Southwestern fabric for a quilt for a relative in Arizona. After the show, we visited Quiltmaker in downtown Napa before heading our separate ways.
Pictured to the left is my new pincushion, purchased at the quilt show. She is made of a couple of log cabin blocks in sweet 1930's reproduction fabrics and I've named her Gretl.

Lately, I've been working on a swap of "Widdle Biddy Blocks" with my pal Nancy, near Philadelphia. I was soooooo behind in making the blocks that we declared a three month break from January to March so I could catch up (not to mention the birth of Nancy's grandson Sam on February 1st!!!). Here are my blocks for August through December (2 per month). Nancy got caught up with the six blocks for January, February and March and I still have those to do. We've decided to continue on at one block per month, which will be much easier to stay up on.

I have other swap blocks of 1930's repros and think I may use one of Judy Martin's fabulous new sets from her book Knockout Blocks and Sampler Quilts. Judy has been a quilt maven since the early resurgence of quilting in the late 70's and I try to collect all of her books. Not always easy as she owns her publishing company and some are out-of-print, but Ebay and Half.com have come through for me more than once.

Tomorrow, I'll be working on some Frienship Blocks for guild, so more later.

No comments: