Sunday, March 12, 2006

Fresno Here I Come


Well, its back on the train and down to Fresno to visit with Mr. B. Sadly, it is not a happy visit as the little bugger is back at Children's Hospital with an unspecified virus that has him down and out. They are testing him for Epstein-Barr / mononucleosis and keeping him in the hospital as he is a bit dehydrated and not eating well. I tell you, hasn't this kid had enough? Not to mention his Mom and Dad!

I can't wait to get there and hug him, but I think I'll pass on the dental exams this time....

On the literature front, I just finished a book loaned to me by daughter Kate, entitled The Time Traveler's Wife by
Audrey Niffenegger. This book absolutely batted it out of the park for me...loved the love story, however improbable and I thought the writer did a fabulous job.

Also a good read, and tackling a very hot subject is My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. It was also a loan from Kate and I was really excited to read this book when I found out what it was about (parents having a child specifically to be a genetic/donor match for an exisiting child who was ill). I loved the story as it unfolded, showing how a family can go totally out of kilter when only one member becomes the focus of the parents' energies.

Finally, I'll be taking Freddy and Fredericka by Mark Helprin, a tale of a fictional Prince and Princess of Wales who are inept, spoiled and totally unprepared to take over the crown in the Queen's estimation. They are exciled to the "colonies" sans clothes and cash and forced to fend for themselves--the modern version of a quest. The author contrives the most hilarious names for his characters and this book has had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion, and I can't wait to see what happens to these clueless castaways next.

'Til I get back....

No comments: